Supermarine Spitfire Built In Texas!
Abilene (from Wiki Encyclopedia)
In 1942, the United States Army Air Forces built Tye Army Air Field, on the site of what is now known as Dyess AFB. On December 18, 1942, was initially named Abilene Army Air Base. The name was changed on April 8, 1943 to Abilene Army Airfield. First unit at Abilene AAB was the 474th Base HQ and Airbase Squadron, established on December 18, 1942. Airfield was initially assigned to Second Air Force and its mission was to be a flying training center for cadets.
Groups which trained at the base during the war were:
March 25, 1944, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt training for flight cadets was taken over by the 261st Army Air Force Base Unit. Training continued until April 1, 1946.
Declared inactive on January 31, 1946. Although assigned to Continental Air Command, Abilene AAF was classified as an inactive sub-base of Fort Worth Army Airfield , sold to the city of Abilene for $1. Used as a training facility for the Texas Army National Guard for several years
Alamo Army Airfiels
Aviation Cadet Training Films of WWII
The first films below, called "Flying Cadets" follow 4 military pilot cadets from an unknown primary flight training field to Randolph Field for basic flight training and finally Kelley Field were the cadets earn their Army Air Corp wings. Along the way you see the Ryan P-22 primary trainer, the Texan advanced trainer, and in the back ground on the various fields you will se a Martin B-10 bomber, C-47s and a DC 3 among other aircraft of that era.
Elpaso Army Air Field, El Paso, Texas
During World War II the airpprt was a United States Army Air Forces training base. Units which trained at El Paso Army Airfield were:
Ellington Field, Houston, Texas
World War II, with its increasing need for trained pilots, helped to reestablish Ellington Field as an active facility. Rep. Albert Thomas, one of Houston's representatives in the United States House of Representatives, pushed for rebuilding Ellington as a pilot training center. Beyond the area's excellent weather for flying, Thomas argued that the Houston area's petroleum refineries, upon which the war effort depended, would need military protection in the region.
In 1940, construction began on a much-expanded Ellington Field, which eventually included five control towers, two 46,000-square-foot (4,300 m2) hangars, the most modern medical complex in south Texas and 74 barracks. Ellington became the home of the 69th, 70th, 71st, 72nd, 74th, 75th and 76th Fighter Squadrons. The base was one of the sites where bomber pilots received their advanced training and also housed the United States Army Air Corps' bombardier school, known as "the Bombardment Academy of the Air." In 1943, the bombardier school was replaced with a school for navigators. By the end of 1943, more than 65 women who served in the Women's Army Corps were also stationed at Ellington. The WACs worked in noncombat Army jobs in order to free men for combat duty. "By taking over an Army job behind the lines, she frees a fighting man to join his fellow soldiers on the road to Victory," stated WAC director Colonel Oveta Culp Hobby. Ellington served primarily as a reserve airbase from the end of the war in 1945 until 1948.
English Field, Amarillo, Texas
Foster Field, Victoria, Texas
Fort Worth Meachem 1942, note the old control tower
Library of Congress
Fort Worth Army Air Field, Fort Worth, Tx